Throw back photo:The Carter Bridge in 1901, a bridge connecting Lagos Island to mainland, the other two being the 3rd Mainland and Eko bridges
The Carter Bridge built in 1901 is one of three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the mainland, the other two being the Third Mainland and Eko bridges. At the time of its construction, this was the only bridge connection between the mainland and Lagos Island. The bridge starts from Iddo on the mainland and ends at the Idumota area of Lagos Island.
The Carter Bridge was originally constructed by the British colonial government, prior to Nigerian independence in 1960. After independence, the bridge was dismantled, redesigned and rebuilt during the late 1970s. The Alaka-Ijora flyover, on the Iddo end of the span was completed in 1973