Basic Facts On High Blood Pressure and Low Blood Pressure
High blood pressure or hypertension is a condition in which a person’s blood. pressure is higher than normal of 140/90 mm-Hg.
Hypertension is established after three consecutive readings of the blood pressure .
The onset is slow and may not present with symptoms at the early time.
It increases the risk of stroke six times and heart attack three times.
It affects both males and females but more in males than females
It is not caused by evil spirits.
Mild hypertension: 141-149/91-99 mmHg
Moderate: 150-179/100-109 mmHg
Severe:180/110mmHg and above.
The cause is unknown but attributted to Heredity ( from parents to offsprings)
Stress or poor emotional well-being.
Excessive alcohol intake.
- The cause is due to disease conditons such as:
- Kidney diseases
- Healt valve problems
- Over-activity of the thyroid or pituitary gland
- Effects of drugs.
There may not be signs and symptoms at the onset,but later the following begin to present.
- Occasional headache
- Blurred vision
- Dizziness etc.
- Uncontrolled hypertension can cause harm to internal organs resulting in
- Heart damage(heart failure)
- Kidney damage.
- Coma and death
- This involves life style charge strategy to:
- Reduce weight.
- Reduce alcohol intake.
- Stop smoking
- Eat more of fruits and vegetables.
- Take drugs for life
- Adhere to doctors instruction on dosage of drugs because drug overdose causes hypotension and death.
This is a condition in which the blood pressure is abnormally low (Low BP) less than 90/60mmHg.
- Excessive blood loss(hemorrhage) or fluid loss eg diarrhea,vomiting,burns etc.
- Death of part of the heart due to loss of oxygen(myocardial infarction).
- Blockage of the Pulmonary artery by blood clot.
- Severe infection,allergic reactions,acute abdomen.
- Severe starvation.
- Drugs overdose of BP drugs.
- Faint attack (syncope)
- Positon when rising from a horizontal position(orthostatic hypotension).
- However it becomes a problem if noticeable symptoms present.
- Light headedness.
- Impaired consciousness in severe cases.
- Unrecordable BP.
- Weak pulse.
- Suppression of urine production.
- If conscious do any of the following
- Chew 5-6 seeds of alligator pepper (Oseoji) or
- Drink a cup of coffee or
- Drink a bottle of sprite or
- 7UP containing a pinch of salt.
- Seek immediate medical help for specific treatment of the condition
- Severe damage to the heart and kidney which results in death.