Meaning Of Antiseptic
Antiseptics are antimicrobial substances that are applied to living tissue/skin to reduce the possibility of infection, sepsis, or putrefaction. Antiseptics are generally distinguished from antibiotics by the latter’s ability to be transported through
the lymphatic system to destroy bacteria within the body, and from disinfectants, which destroy microorganisms found on non-living objects. Example Dettol, IZAL e.t.c
Production Of Antiseptic
Ingredients for the production of Antiseptic
1) 5 litres of Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA):
Isopropyl is a secondary alcohol. This colorless, flammable, chemical compound has a strong odor. Isopropyl alcohol has antiseptic effects which gives Antiseptic the ability to kill bacteria and fungi when used for wound care. It also makes Antiseptic a good household cleaning product.
2) I litre of Liquid Texapone: This substance, gives the Antiseptic that fragrance it has.
3) 1/2 Litre of Pine Oil: Pine tree is the source of pine oil. Pine oil is made from the cone, twigs and needles of the pine tree. When pine oil is diluted in water it emulsifies, or forms a cloudy liquid. This cloudiness also occurs when Antiseptic is diluted. Pine oil is used in a variety of bath oils and bath soaps and as an essential oil in aromatherapy. Pine oil has antiseptic and disinfectant properties and a distinct aroma that characterizes Antiseptic and other products made with pine oil.
4) 1/2 Litre of Chloroxylenol: Chloroxylenol is the antibacterial in futol that acts to kill germs and reduce inflammation. Chloroxylenol makes Antiseptic an effective household disinfectant.
5) 1/4 Litre of Phenol: Phenol is an antiseptic, when Antiseptic is added to water, it gives water that cloudy nature on it. Also Pine oil does that.
6) Less than half a spoon of amber colour
7) 2¾ litres of distilled water: To dilute the Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)
8) i) Container ii) Spatula iii) Turner
NB: Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) is the base for Antiseptic production. There is an alternative for Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) which is Methanol.
Procedure for Antiseptic Production
1) Get an empty container or bucket. Pour the measured Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) into the container, add distilled water into it, and stir very well for proper mixture of the solution
2) Add the Chloroxylenol to it, stir very well.
3) Add phenol and stir
4) Add liquid texapone and stir very well for 5 minutes.
5) Add the pine oil and stir very well.
6) Add the amber color and watch, until the desired color is gotten.
7) Allow for 1 hour, for proper mixture.
NB: Using methanol instead of Isopropyl Alcohol, The quantity should be more than 5litres.